A NSW patent attorney is specially qualified to represent a patent applicant or patent holder. Patent attorneys can help clients file, prosecute (e.g. respond to examination reports) and uphold patent applications in addition to assist clients in patent oppositions.
NSW Patent Attorney Activities
The Institute of Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia website provides a concise summary of what activities NSW patent attorneys, and Australian patent attorneys in general, can perform:
- Determine the nature and ambit of inventions and prepare patent specifications
- Apply for and secure patents, registered trade marks and industrial designs
- Conduct IP audits of organisations, products and services
- Help transfer technology by licensing and other processes
- Determine whether a development is new and sufficiently inventive enough to justify a patent
NSW Patent Attorney Profession
Registration as a NSW patent attorney in Australia is administered by the Professional Standards Board for Patents and Trade Marks Attorneys. The Professional Standard Board publishes a Code of Conduct and administers the disciplinary regime for the profession.
Some NSW patent attorneys are fellows or ordinary members of the Institute of Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia, the professional body governing the patent attorney profession in Australia.
NSW Patent attorneys have a right of privilege in their communication with clients in respect of intellectual property matters.
NSW Patent Attorney Qualifications
NSW patent attorneys must have an engineering or science degree and have completed a group of topics prescribed by the Professional Standards Board. For a NSW patent attorney, such topics may consist of a Masters degree such as the Master of Industrial Property offered by the University of Technology, Sydney.
NSW Patent Attorney Search
Patent attorney directories may be located across a variety of sources, including the internet and the Yellow Pages.
- Patent Attorney Directory — current information on main NSW patent attorney firms
- A list of registered NSW patent attorneys in Australia may be found on the Professional Standards Board for Patents and Trade Marks Attorneys website.
- A directory of NSW patent attorney firms may also be found on the IP Australia website.
- The Institute of Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia website also provides a database for NSW patent attorney firms.
Important Disclaimer: The information on this website is not legal or professional advice. The information may:
- not be correct;
- only relate to the law or practice in a given country; and/or
- be outdated.